The Lands Commission has refuted claims made by the Speaker of Parliament, Alban Sumana Bagbin that his official residence was almost sold to a private developer.
This follows some allegation made by Mr. Bagbin at the Speaker’s Breakfast Forum held at the Alisa Hotel in Accra on Monday.
Speaking at the event, the Speaker of Parliament had alleged that his residence had been given out without his notice.
Read also: My official bungalow was almost sold off – Speaker reveals
He further explained that the property would have been re-registered by the private developer had the Lands Commission not identified the building.
“Many of you don’t know that even the residence of the Speaker was almost sold to a private developer. Actually it was given out, it is when they went to register that the Land’s Commission identified that that is the residence of the Speaker. Luckily, I was inside so it was safe,” he said.
But in a press statement issued on November 20 and signed by the Acting Executive Secretary, Benjamin Arthur, the Commission denied the allegations made by the Speaker.
“The Lands Commission has become aware of reports in a section of the media suggesting that the Rt. Hon. Speaker of Parliament’s official residence at Cantonments has been sold to a private developer.
“The Commission wishes to state emphatically that at no point in time was the said property sold to a private developer by the Lands Commission.”
It also stressed that it was unaware of any purported sale of the Rt. Hon. Speaker of Parliament’s official residence.
“The Commission wishes to reiterate its commitment to the prudent and efficient management of public lands in the national interest and promote effective land administration that is anchored on the highest standards of integrity, transparency and candor,” the statement concluded.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.